Bathroom Cleaning Tips
When it comes to cleaning the bathroom most people would much rather do just about anything else.
If you follow these simple yet effective techniques, cleaning the bathroom will take less time.
These cleaning tips, and the exact order listed, is how we clean the bathroom at Mrs Clean – (We are a real house cleaning company)
In fact, I took this page directly out of our employee training manual. It will teach you exactly how to clean your bathroom just like a professional house cleaner. Effectively, completely and best of all, efficiently- So you can move on to more enjoyable tasks
How To Clean The Bathroom
Cleaning supplies you will need:
- Soap scum remover
- Soft scrub
- Hand brush
- Tooth brush
- Window cleaner
- Cleaning rags
1. Begin bathroom cleaning by looking up and checking for cob webs and dust on the lights and fixtures. Use a duster and clean these areas, be careful not to spray any cleaner on a HOT light bulb.
2. Start by pre-treating the toilet. Spray the interior and exterior with disinfectant. This removes odors, bacteria and germs.
3. Leave the disinfectant on for 10 minutes. Sprinkle comet inside. While the disinfectant and comet is doing its job, move to the tub and shower.
4. Remove all shampoo bottles, razors, soap and toys from the tub and shower ledges and shelves and place in the sink. Do not place these on the floor, because you may slip on wet surfaces.
5. If the tub/shower enclosure is not super dirty it will come clean with disinfectant / degreaser and a sponge or cleaning brush to wipe it down.
6. If there is mold, mildew or soap scum you will need to use a soap scum remover like Soft Scrub and elbow grease to remove it.
BE CAREFUL ABOUT MIXING PRODUCTS- NEVER MIX PRODUCTS WITH BLEACH WITH PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN AMMONIA.
Soap scum is the bane of all house cleaners. At Mrs Clean, we remove soap scum with an acidic type cleaning product, or an abrasive cleanser such as comet and soft scrub.
There is no perfect product for removing soap scum. Find a product you are satisfied with generally, but it takes old fashioned elbow grease to remove it completely.
Soft scrub can be used on any tub or showers and enclosure. Comet can be used on claw foot tubs because these are porcelain and stains will not come out with other products.
Be careful with abrasives on tile, it can scratch easily.
Shower and Toilet
1. Rinse the inside of the tub/shower.
2. Wipe the outside of the tub/shower with disinfectant or window cleaner and wipe it dry.
3. If the shower enclosure is glass, wipe out the tracks.
4. Wipe off the items from the ledges (that were placed in the sink) and place back in the tub/shower.
5. Use window cleaner on all metal faucets, tissue holders, towel racks and tool brush holders. It gives a nice non streak shine.
6. Return to the pre-treated toilet. The disinfectant has had time to do it’s job. Use a brush to wash the inside of the bowl.
7. Wipe the rim and the underside of the seat and the bottom of the cover.
8. Clean the top of the seat and the space behind the seat assembly carefully. Hair and dust accumulate here.
9. Wipe the tank and the pedestal including the base.
10. Since you’re already down there, clean the floor behind the toilet by hand. You can spray the floor with disinfectant (neutral ph).
1. Wipe the bathroom counters with disinfectant, or soft scrub.
2. Wipe down items on the counters and return neatly back on the counter.
3. Wipe it dry.
Mirrors and Sills
1. Clean all mirrors with glass cleaner.
2. Clean the window sills, tops of the medicine cabinet, frames, light fixtures and baseboards.
3. To check for streaks, bend down so the bottom of the mirror is at eye level to see any spots you have missed.
1. Clean the sink area using soft scrub.
2. Clean the faucets, area where the sink and counter join and the area behind the faucet with the toothbrush and soft scrub or disinfectant.
3. Wipe it all dry.
1. Clean the floor with the appropriate cleaner. If the bathroom floor is made of marble, use marble cleaner ONLY.
2. Do not forget the baseboards (especially around the toilet).
3. Replace the trash can, scale and anything else removed from the floor .
Bathroom Cleaning Checklist
- Light fixtures dusted
- All trash removed
- Pre-treat commode with disinfectant and comet
- Clean inside tub/shower-Rinse and wipe it dry
- Clean inside shower door tracks
- Use window cleaner on metal surfaces to make them shine
- Wipe down counter top and items on it. Arrange items neatly when replaced
- Scrub inside commode. Wipe down outside, rim and lid. Wipe it dry. Clean floor behind by hand
- Clean all mirrors
It may sound like a lot of hard work, but once you’ve got the bathroom cleaning down, you will get into a routine and cleaning your bathroom will no longer feel like an all day chore.